The New Market
Settled in the early 1800s by Quakers from Vermont and Pennsylvania, the agricultural community surrounding the Holland River was home to the first fur trading post and the largest farmers’ market in the area. The first residents built lumber and textile mills, a tannery, and a distillery. Farmers and traders no longer needed to make the long journey to the “old” markets in York, so this New Market quickly became the centre of trade, commerce, and small industry north of Toronto.
The Newmarket Trading Tree
The Newmarket Trading Tree was a giant elm located on Timothy Street, just a few yards west of Main Street. This famous landmark was removed around 1950. The Trading Tree was the site of the first trading post in the area.
The settlement later known as Newmarket was centred around the Holland River and the millpond now known as Fairy Lake. The Holland River was an important artery for Indians and fur traders, and the area was crisscrossed with Indian trails.
The giant elm served as a landmark for the infant community, and fur traders would gather at the base of the tree to barter with the Indians.
The Newmarket Board of Trade
The Newmarket Chamber of Commerce was founded as the Newmarket Board of Trade in 1857. In 1911 with the founding of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, it became the Newmarket Chamber of Commerce.
The Newmarket Chamber of Commerce continues to be the voice of business in Newmarket and is a major contributor to the economic and social well being of the community. It represents the interests of over 700 members, and is committed to encouraging the development of new and existing industries and businesses in the Newmarket area.
Newmarket Railway Station
The Newmarket Chamber of Commerce offices are housed in the old Railway Station on Davis Drive just east of Main Street.
Designated a heritage site in 1987, this picturesque Queen Anne Revival building became the new home of the Chamber of Commerce in 1997. Read more
More information about the colourful history of the Town of Newmarket, or contact:
Elman Campbell Museum
134 Main Street South
Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 3Y7